Learning numbers is something we all do sooner or later. I am not a big fan of learning too much too early but in my years of teaching experience I noticed that it is between 1+ and 3 years old the little once start showing interest in quantities and counting.
So I am happy to share with you a Montessori Inspired Number Exploration I use with toddlers who are already familiar with counting 1,2,3 and 1,2,3,4,5. This exploration prepares them from pre-writing and writing. And it also gives them a better idea of quantities.
Number cards with a number in front and dots for quantity at the back
5 paint brushes
5 popsicles sticks
5 large buttons
And anything else you can think of!
How to explore the numbers:
1. Introduce the numbers or review them by slowing picking up each card and placing in front of your child. Have the child point and repeat.
2. Flip the card and use the dots to count again
3. Flip the cards back. Now take any of the objects and place them one by one on each card counting 1 to 5. Give the child enough time to work with the objects..
4. Flip the cards to the side with dots. Now pick any card with any number, count the dots and pick the same amount of one type of objects (for example, 5 dots – 5 shells), placing them next to the card. Give the child enough time to explore and count.
As an extension, the child can count how many buttons or shells you placed in a cup and find that number.
You can also “paint” over each number or trace over it with an object to promote pre-writing.
What is the purpose of this activity?
– Learning counting
– Getting familiar with numbers and quantity
– Logical skills
– Fine motor skills
It’s time again for another fantastic month of alphabet fun with the 31 Days of ABC! All this month you can look forward to 31 more days of activities, crafts, books, apps, and more, all dedicated to teaching young children the alphabet.
I am so happy to be working with an amazing group of kid bloggers, who will be sharing their ideas with us in the coming days. So join us as we jump, skip, hop, and read our way through the alphabet this October!
Don’t forget to follow our 31 Days of ABCs Pinterest board for even more great ABC ideas!
31 Days of ABC
Teaching the ABCs – October 1
A – October 2
B – October 3
C – October 4
D – October 5
E – October 6
F – October 7